UPDATE July 17, 2019: Our sunflower season is expected to occur on or around the second week of September 2019. Please check back for more information as we get closer to the season. We will post updates here as well as on our facebook and instagram pages and e-news updates to subscribers. Thanks!
Important and useful Public Tour Info
- We recommend that you arrive 10-15 minutes prior to the scheduled tour time to allow time for parking and purchasing your tour tickets.
- Tour times can and (probably will run over, sometimes up to an hour over) depending on how many sunflower fans show up.
- Tickets must be purchased prior to the tour time to participate in that tour. Tickets are for sale at our farm market only. Tickets are not available on line.
- Taking along the baby or an elderly family member? Consider bringing an umbrella to shade the bright sunshine.
- There is a small tent in the sunflower field, but the hayride to and from the field is not covered.
- Please be respectful of our farm while visiting. Taking a scheduled tour is the best way to ensure a fun, safe, and educational visit! Enjoy it!
Donaldson Farms is pleased to offer fun and picturesque tours of approximately 10 acres of Black-Oil Sunflowers that are planted throughout our farm during the late summer and early fall! When in season, Donaldson Farms offers both public and private educational sunflower tours, sunset sunflower photography tours, private sunflower photography sessions, Sunflower ‘Pick-N-Paint’ events, and more. Please read below for scheduled sunflower-related tours and events. If you don’t find what you’re looking for or have questions, please email us or call 908-852-9122 x2
“Can I walk and take photos anywhere on the Farm…?”
No. We are so glad that so many of you are interested in visiting our sunflower fields! While we welcome photos being taken casually by our farm market, for safety reasons, we are unable to permit our guests to walk to the sunflower fields on their own. This is a very busy season. Our family and staff are hard at work, often on large tractors and equipment, at any given time, all around our farm. The best and safest way to see, learn about and photograph these beauties – 20 acres of them – is to take a public, private or special photography tour. Because of this, we must ask that you do not set up photography equipment or take a walk in various areas around the farm without permission. A Sunset Sunflower Photography Tour for professional & amateurs will be scheduled for our 2018 season.
2019 Public Sunflower Tour Dates & Details
Public Sunflower Tours Dates and Times
2019 Tour info will be posted next season.
Public Sunflower Tours include:
- Hayride with optimum photo locations
- Ample time to enjoy and photograph the sunflowers
- Farm-fresh fruit & water provided during the tour
- Pollinator Safari play sheet for kids. How many pollinating insects can you find?
- Sunflowers are available for purchase while on the tour: $3/each.
- Cost: Adults $10.00 per person, Kids ages 4 – 12 $6.00 per person and 3 & under are FREE!
- See below to schedule a private, educational sunflower tour or email us.
- Photographers: We encourage photographers to access our sunflower fields during our Public Sunflower Tours with your clients, however, we ask that you do not bring props or large equipment bags on the wagons due to limited space. Please see below for more information on scheduling a Private Sunflower Photography Tour.
* To provide an enjoyable experience for all WE DO NOT ALLOW BUSES during our PUBLIC SUNFLOWER TOURS on WEEKENDS. We are happy to welcome and accommodate pre-booked private/group/bus tours during the week. Call #908-852-9122 x2 to schedule your group for a weekday Sunflower Tour. Private Tour availability is limited. Please refer to the next paragraph for information.
How long is a Public Sunflower Tour?
PUBLIC TOUR LENGTH: Tours are approximately 1 hour long. Please keep in mind that our tours can run over one hour depending on how many people are joining us.
What is the cost to take a Public Sunflower Tour?
COST: Adults $10.00 per person, Kids ages 4 – 12 $6.00 per person and 3 & under are FREE!
Sunflowers, cut by our farm staff in the sunflower field, are available for purchase $3/each.
PUBLIC TOUR SUGGESTIONS & TIPS: Consider the weather. Wear sunblock and comfortable walking shoes. If you are accompanying an infant or elderly adult you might want to consider bringing an umbrella to provide shade. And don’t forget your camera – amazing photo opportunities are waiting!
Pick-N-Paint Sunflower Tour
A Fun and Fresh-Air Night Out on the Farm!
2019 event dates will be announced in season. Enjoy an educational & creative evening on the farm! Take a hayride tour of approximately 20 acres of Black Oil Sunflowers, in various plantings throughout our farm. We’ll stop for a photo op and pick your own sunflower. Then back to the tent to paint with professional instruction from artists and painters. Light snacks and refreshments. Bring your own beverages and snacks or order delivery from a local favorite restaurant! Take home a masterpiece and wonderful memories with friends!
Sunflower Sunset Photography Tours
Each Sunflower season our farm offers Sunset Sunflower Photography Tours in partnership with professional photography studios and photographers. 2019 event dates will be announced as the season draws near. It’s a fantastic opportunity for amateur & professional photographers to enjoy that sought after ‘sunset time’ in our Black Oil Sunflower fields. We are so proud to have a professional photographer, and friend, Rick Gerrity of Panasonic, host what has become one of our favorite tours of the season. Tips and techniques are provided to capture these beauties at their best! Space is limited and this class fills up quickly.
Private Sunflower Tours
PRIVATE/GROUP SUNFLOWER TOURS are a great way for your special group to have a fun and educational experience together. Perfect for Mom’s Clubs, Camps, School Groups, Church Groups, Photography Clubs and more! We are happy to welcome and accommodate pre-booked private/group/bus tours during the week. Call #908-852-9122 x 2 to schedule your group for a weekday Sunflower Tour. Private Educational Sunflower Tours for schools and groups are 1.5 hours and cost begin at $225 for up to 25 participants and $11/for each additional participant. Tours are approximately 90 minutes. Private tours are based on availability and must be scheduled in advance. WE DO NOT ALLOW BUSES during our PUBLIC SUNFLOWER TOURS or Saturdays and Sundays throughout the Sunflower Season.
Private Professional Photography sessions can be scheduled based on availability. Our sunflower fields are in various stages of growth and locations throughout our farm. The flowers change day by day and it is a very short season. We will be happy to discuss location options at the time of your inquiry. Private group tours for optimum photography locations can be booked on weekdays. The cost for a Private Sunflower Photography session begins at $250 for a 2-hour tour session and may include up to 25 people and a basket of apples, cold drinking water and cups for your clients/guests. Professional photography requests for private sessions can be emailed to email@example.com.
Facebook Sunflower Photo Contest
Calling all amateur and professional photographers: Share your photos from your Sunflower Tour on Facebook to enter our Sunflower Photo Contest. More details to follow. Post your favorite photos of our 2018 sunflowers to our Facebook page or share on Instagram and be sure to tag Donaldson Farms to enter our 2018 Sunflower photo contest. We’ll choose a first, second and third place winner in two classes; professional and amateur. Professional photographers, please be sure to use your watermark. Post using the hashtag #donaldsonfarmssunflowers2018 to be sure we get to see your photos. Good luck!
NJ Audubon S.A.V.E.™ Bird Seed
We are proud to have worked with the New Jersey Audubon’s S.A.V.E. Program to provide educational, fun tours in past seasons!
S.A.V.E.™ birdseed is directly connected to habitat restoration. For every 5 acres planted to sunflowers, the partners are establishing 1 acre of grassland habitat for rare nesting birds such as Grasshopper Sparrow and Bobolink.
- Questions? Call (908) 852-9122
- Learn more about NJ Audubon’s S.A.V.E.™ Program